Thursday, June 28, 2012

Michigan Blueberry Smash Cocktail


It's Cocktail Week! A special thanks to Allison (that was hard to type, I really want to say Mrs. Powell) at Decadent Philistines Save the World for letting me join in the "week" games. Mrs. P was the young, hip teacher at my high school a few years back. I loved hanging out in her classroom talking shoes and gawking at her mad cake decorating skills. 

Now for some libations. . .

Despite enjoying several new cocktails over the past year, this was my first adventure in cocktail making. I decided to make a cocktail featuring Michigan berries. I've been fortunate to enjoy several Michigan fruits this season already - black cherries, raspberries, and blueberries - despite the damage the fruit crop here has incurred.  I settled on a half pint of itty bitty blueberries at the Farmer's Market and was able to snag some locally grown mint as well for this Blueberry Smash cocktail from Bon  Appétit. 

I halved the original recipe and swapped Elderflower soda for the pricier Elderflower liqueur, using equal parts soda and vodka.

To make this unbelievably easy drink, you'll need lemon, lime, berries, mint, and the aforementioned, vodka and soda. 


SMASH!

As the name implies, you'll need to smash the fruit and mint together (best part, aside from drinking it) before adding vodka, soda and ice. Voilà!


My taste testers and I found this drink incredibly refreshing on a hot Michigan afternoon! I have plans for another batch this weekend. Perhaps I will switch up the berries? I may also add a pinch of sugar or drizzle of agave - the early season berries seemed a little tart.

Thirsty for more? Check out what the other lovely ladies of Cocktail Week have stirred up:
- Megan @ Wanna Be A Country Cleaver: Raging Aztec Frappe
- Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World: Peach Pie Prosecco "Palmer"& Radlermass
- Kat @ Tenaciously Yours: Amaretto Sours
- Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama: Raspberry Thyme Tom Collins
- Kristen (Fellow Michigander!) @ Comfortably Domestic: Traverse City Cherry Mojito
- Katie @ Hill Country Cook: Watermelon Mojo
- Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain: La Paloma

Be sure to visit La Petite Pancake to see what Mads has made today, and tomorrow visit Jeanne at Inside NanaBread's Head.  

Blueberry Smash Cocktail (serves three 20-something girls)
adapted from Bon Appétit
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1/4 cup of loose packed mint leaves
- 3/4 cup of vodka
- 3/4 cup of elderflower soda 

Muddle lemon, lime, blueberries and mint in a large pitcher. Stir in vodka, soda and 1 cup of ice cubes.

12 comments:

  1. Fun fact - I am no longer young and hip. But we can talk shoes any day of the week!
    This looks lovely. I've never tried elderflower soda/liqueur, but everyone raves about it. Maybe I'll have to try this out STAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe it. . .you'll always be young and hip in my book!
      Also, Elderflower STAT!

      Delete
  2. This drink looks refreshing! I am too curious about this elderflower soda! Why have I never heard of it? Can't wait to try. Glad to have found you through #Cocktail Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! I love all these new blogs I have discovered this week!

      Delete
  3. Good call, sister. I am All About The Elderflower Soda. I've heard great things about St. Germain, but like I said in my post, I have no space for misfit bottles. And you know, I like to save a penny here or there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, so-little-cabinet-space (and booze funds).

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was! I made it again tonight! Can't wait to read more from Bakeaholic Mama!

      Delete
  5. This makes such a lovely presentation. I love the layered fruit. And I have never seen Elderflower soda. Related to elderberries, I presume? I need to find it and try it this summer. This is such a pretty cocktail. Thanks for joining the fun, Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at lavender! I'm going to have to try this soon. By the way, nice to see you're back. I've got a little something for you over at my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liza! I'm happy to back. I just returned from vacation and saw the little blog present, I will jump on that soon!

      Delete