Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Inspiration

I'm feeling so much excitement and motivation to try new recipes this week. It's great. I checked out three cookbooks from the library today: Moosewood Restaurants New Classics , Seasonal Preserves by Joanna Farrow, and Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook my father's daughter (it was in Bon Appetit, so I figured it was legit).

Yesterday I made this lentil and rice salad, courtesy of Giada. The recipe was really easy to make, I had all ingredients on hand except a lemon for zest. I also added about a teaspoon of curry powder and a handful of raisins. Next time I think I will add a little more curry powder, but the recipe seems versatile for a number of flavor combos. Bonus, rice + lentils = complete protein.


This afternoon I was sitting out on the porch staring a the herb garden my Mom and Dad planted. The basil caught my eye and I remembered earlier this summer when a coworker was drinking sweet basil iced tea during a staff meeting. One Google search later, I was setting up at the stove to brew Sweet Basil Honey Tea from Food52. Of course, I was missing the essential regular black tea (and once again lemon - must.get.lemons) but I did have a cinnamon vanilla black tea from Trader Joe's. Unfortunately the vanilla and cinnamon dominated the flavor of the tea, but it smelled like basil. Delicious and refreshing nonetheless. I'll definitely give it another try with the right ingredients too. 


Any plans for the holiday weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment