Thursday, March 24, 2011

La Capirotada

This morning, and Tuesday I made Capirotada for a skit in my Spanish class. We wanted to talk about/make something traditionally made during Carnaval but all my search results lead me to Capirotada - a bread pudding served during Lent in Mexico. It looked pretty delish, so naturally I threw my hands up in surrender and my group and I decided to talk about this dish instead. Two of my favorite "articles" about Capirotada were from blogs: MattBites & Homesick Texan.

I did a test run of the dish on Tuesday evening. I gave some to my roommates, and some to my group members when we practiced our skit, yet I still ended up eating most of it myself. Everyone loved it so I was up early this morning at 7:15 AM making it again for Spanish. I followed the recipe from Homesick Texan most closely.

To start boil 2 cups of water with 2 cups of brown sugar and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Meanwhile melt half a stick of butter and cut up a 24-inch French baguette in about half-inch slices. Next put down a layer of the sliced baguette, pour over half of the melted butter, a fourth of the sugar/water syrup and then 1 cup of pecans, 1/2 a cup of raisins, and 1 cup of QUESO! That's right, cheese - I used 1 cup of Cheddar Monterrey Jack. Finally, add the rest of the bread and coat everything in the remaining syrup and butter. Into the oven at 350 degrees, covered, for 20 minutes and then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.


So good! I made the bare-bones version, omitting the cloves, apricots. However, I think this dish lends itself to many variations - even healthy ones. You might be seeing this one again. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my does this look amazing! There is nothing unfortunate about bread dipped with butter, sugar and baked into submission. Wow. I found your site through "baking for the cure", and can't wait to see what you post there. All the best! ~Megan
    Also - I'm having a giveaway on my blog this week for a 12" covered casserole dish from World Market. I do so hope you will stop by and find out how to enter :)

    ReplyDelete