Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Pleasant Surprise

It shouldn't come as a huge surprise that my weekday eating is not all that glamorous. However yesterday's dinner turned out to be much better than the planned yogurt+granola+carrot+hummus+other carb-dinner, because my Dad took me out to dinner! As I was dragging my self to my third consecutive hour-and-half lecture at 2:30 I checked my messages and there was one from my Dad saying he was in the general vicinity for a meeting and wanted to know if I needed groceries and/or dinner. UMM. . .YES! And more than that I was in desperate need of family. Safe to say my day was instantly made and my frown turned upside down. 


We went to Frita Batidos, a new Ann Arbor restaurant owned by Eve Aronoff. Eve also owns Eve in Kerrytown and was on Top Chef Season 6. I had heard from a friend it was good, but WOW - it was GOOD. My Dad and I both had the Pulled Pork sandwich and split the Shoestring Fries. In addition I had a chocolate Batido; a batido is a "tropical milkshake made with fresh fruit, crushed ice and a drop of sweetened milk with or without rum*." Mine obviously without. Everything was great, the restaurant itself is very minimalist - all white. There are five or six long white picnic tables to sit at, but I actually really like the community feel that those evoke. So now that I have talked that up so much, I would hate to show you the sub-par pictures I took (blame it on first time Frita excitement), but I'll definitely be back and maybe taking more blog worthy food pictures soon. 


Street view. Frita's coffee window and snack bar menu to the right. 

. . .and then I had to eat something tonight. 


TJ's Cheese Tortellini with tomato sauce and roasted sweet potatoes and carrots.

*From Frita Batidos Philosophy

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You eat a whole lot better than I did in college! Glad you and Dad got to hang out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh the cheese tortellini from TJ is so good! I always get the Pesto though - that is what i cooked for you!

    ReplyDelete